Modérateurs: Modération Forum DIY, Modération Forum Installations, Le Bureau de l’Association HCFR • Utilisateurs parcourant ce forum: HADSIDI, le touriste et 68 invités

Discussions générales sur le DIY Audio : choix des HP, comparaisons des principes : clos vs BR, etc

ClarityCap vs. other brands...

Message » 29 Mar 2014 12:14

ClarityCap Low series than MR...
i find MR wonderfull
I heard that the series below the mr, do not play optimally, why have a presentation devoid of dark detail.
what are your experiences?

in review of tony gee, he says they are warm/dark

SA
"Sound: The Clarity Cap range has an overall similarity in tonal balance, going up the range you gain a bit in clarity and spatiality. I find the SA to be neutral with a slightly warmish presentation but also a bit closed-in. Compared to the Clarity Cap PX definition and separation are better, the stereo-image is also little larger. I did find the top end to be slightly rolled-off, not that they lacked detailed but on some recordings I wanted a fraction more transparency - but all in all still very nice. On the downside the "S" and "T" in vocals can be a bit plasticy, this is probably due to the lack in transparany in the top octave, making the octaves below sound a little masked. Making a capacitor using about 90% Clarity Cap SA and about 10% Mundorf Supreme works very well, this tends to open up the top end just nicely without altering anything else.

ESA
"Sound: Similar in overall character to the Clarity Cap SA but with more clarity and therefore a fraction more spatial. Like the SA they could still do with a bit more transparency but with a small bypass capacitor this can be improved. The ESA also has a slightly warmish presentation and also benefits from making a total value using about 90% Clarity Cap ESA and about 10% Mundorf Supreme. This opens up the top end just nicely without altering anything else. Good overall qualities and an upgrade from the standard Clarity Cap SA."

do you compared ESA with other caps ?, such as mundorf supreme of jantzen superior-z

p.s.
excuse if i write in english.
gandalf_77

Inscription Forum: 20 Fév 2005 11:36

Message » 29 Mar 2014 14:43

It's very difficult to have an honest answer to this question.

Difficult because you have to do an ABX test, if you want to be honest, and not be impressed by the size, the color, or the cost of the condensation.
Difficult, because it may depend where the componenement is located in the filter.
Difficult because, if you just change the value of a resistance on your tweeter, you will ear greater differences in the sound, than changing one good brand versus one other.

I have many brands, and Franckly I can't tell.

La configuration dans mon profil

Intoxiqué au Beryllium :D
Powerdoc
Modérateur Home-Cinéma
Modérateur Home-Cinéma

Inscription Forum: 30 Sep 2006 19:05

Message » 29 Mar 2014 17:16

the only thing that I realized is that it is hard! .... :-?
gandalf_77

Message » 29 Mar 2014 21:52

About the highly priced Duelund VSF caps:
Tony Gee: <<< I found the Duelund VSF-Cu to have a very natural timbre, smooth, clear, open, and at the same time they stay calm and controlled but delivering dynamics when the music calls for it...The tonal balance is near perfection... the string section is much more a group of individuals rather than just a group. Verdict: 12.5/10 >>>
Troels Gravesen: <<< You may wonder why e.g. Duelund VSF caps are not amount the intro images. The VSF are "standard" caps wound from e.g. copper foil on oiled paper - and then squeezed flat to make "virtual stack foil". These caps are smooth on the ear but do not deliver the resolution of high-res caps - and they're wildly overpriced. >>>

This is an exemple of how two wellknown and respected diyers do experience the sound of a same given cap. However both regard the difference between low and high quality caps as obvious and sometimes even huge... Thus we have to think about this type of suggestive comparisons!

I personally compared a MR one and a ESA one in series in a highpass x-over for a high resolution tweeter (on complete speakers indeed): I heard a difference but in any it case was extremely tenuous and mainly matter of taste. If my memory is OK, I felt MR was slightly smoother. :oldy:

En acoustique, l'analyse judicieuse des résultats de mesures nécessite la connaissance de leurs seuils d'audibilité.
Agnostic1er
Superviseur Forum DIY
Superviseur Forum DIY

Inscription Forum: 19 Oct 2005 3:26

Message » 30 Mar 2014 1:43

thank you very much.
other experiences ?
gandalf_77

Message » 30 Mar 2014 14:29

gandalf_77 a écrit:thank you very much.
other experiences ?
yes, some but not many; I stopped at the time I understood differences were always tiny and sometimes could be related to manufacturing tolerances (usually 2 to even 20%); in any case I do always work hard to optimize the filter before going to priced components, caps included for the reasons that powerdoc stated in a previous post. The fact is that a well designed filter is always of much greater importance than the brands or supposed qualities of the components used inside. :wink:

En acoustique, l'analyse judicieuse des résultats de mesures nécessite la connaissance de leurs seuils d'audibilité.
Agnostic1er
Superviseur Forum DIY
Superviseur Forum DIY

Inscription Forum: 19 Oct 2005 3:26

Retourner vers Discussions Générales

• Articles en relation
    Dernier message